Thursday, August 21, 2008

Open House at School

Today Gavin and I went to his school's Open House. We met his teacher and she seems really nice. Gavin has already said that he really likes her and now he is even more excited about starting 1st grade. He was really excited about the library as well. He was the same way last year about his previous school's library. I hope he stays that way forever--loving libraries.

So it looks like Gavin will be riding the school bus now. He didn't ride it last school year because I was a little afraid for him. He had this thing about steps seeming dangerous and high and I had this thing about the older bigger kids maybe accidentally pushing him and making him fall and him hearing inappropriate things from bad kids. But last year I learned that most of the kindergarteners rode the bus and Gavin actually wished he was one of those kids.

My son riding the bus now just makes it all the more clear that he is turning into such a big boy now. It's going to be extremely convenient though, all we have to do is just wait by the road right outside our house, no walking to a specific bus stop. There's no sidewalk on our road so I am sure that is the reason but it makes walking him to and from the bus a very quick thing to do. I'm going to really appreciate that when it gets cold!

2 bite(s) of mango :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Awwww!! He is growing up. That is very convenient. I think it all depends on the school you go to also. Terry had to ride the bus for kindergarten. Bad kids!! but they did get smart and make the little ones sit up front so they would be safe. Now he has not ridden a bus since but that is because I was driving him to school because where we lived he could walk but was really not a safe walk with no sidewalks. Then we moved and we were out of that school zone. Now he is at a school close by that works out all he has to do is walk around the corner. Sounds like Gavin is going to a good school so you should have no problems. I have noticed though with Terry in school is if you make your presence known in the school. Your child gets treated with more respect. I have had other parents notice the same thing. Maybe I am wrong. I never volunteered with two little ones at home but they knew who I was and I was involved with him and what he did. So just to let you know my experience so far.

  2. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    Brian actually asked me about that, if the smaller kids sit up front. I didn't know though and just said I would tell Gavin to do that--sit up front. Yeah when it comes to bus drivers, I like the mean ones that don't take any crap lol. Well mean as in the kids think they are mean, but I think the kids respect the bus driver that Gavin will have. The bus drivers were at the open house as well and there were plenty of kids and parents rushing to reunite with her and say hi. I thought that was very cute.

    Last year, I was involved with Gavin's school and I definitely plan to keep that up. I really enjoyed it and enjoyed the other kids as well. Kindergarteners are especially so very funny and cute.