Monday, August 4, 2008

Hummingbird Clearwing Moth

We saw a hummingbird moth today! It took me awhile to research exactly what this bug was but now I know. But while outside snapping shots and wondering what the heck type of bug this was, I had to double check my eyes to make sure it WASN'T a hummingbird. The nickname for these moths suit them extremely well.

I am exposing my amateur ways as a photographer with this one: It took me a few aggravating and desperate snaps of my camera before a light bulb went on in my head to switch to sports mode for a faster shutter speed. Though I think next time I'll see if I can also manually adjust the speed to get clearer shots of wings. This moth here had beautiful translucent wings, hence the "Clearwing".

This moth was so fast and active. It was going crazy for my lantana plant, flying and zipping all over that is was extremely hard to get a good shot. But hopefully these shots above best show how special hummingbird moths look. My other attempted photos are disappointing!

2 bite(s) of mango :

  1. Brian Baine said...

    Thats pretty cool. Never seen one before. I wonder if there will be others now.

  2. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    I hope so! They look really cool. They have a very 'plump' body lol, which threw me off in figuring out what it was. Gavin kept on calling it a beetle!