Thursday, August 21, 2008

Kwan Yin - Goddess of Mercy and Compassion

Her full name translated means: One who hears the cries of the world.

I had this painting done for me of Kwan Yin (Guan Yin), the Goddess of Mercy and Compassion. I am excited about how it turned out. I had paid for it to have something cool to hang above the fireplace but now I see it will look totally disproportionate there (I need something more horizontal). Currently I need to see where this painting will best be. I would really love for it to be shown in one of the more public rooms but our bedroom seems to have the perfect wall for it, having 2 doors that will frame it nicely on each side. The front living room is also perfect because of the wall color that you can see in the photo. I'll have to think on it more to decide.

I also plan to do some white or metallic painting or gold foil on the frame currently in use. I prefer silver but then it would clash with all the hardware and fixtures in the house. I do want to eventually switch out all the house's hardware to silver-tone, but that's not really a priority right now.

Some wonderful information about why I love Kwan Yin can be found here and here.

5 bite(s) of mango :

  1. Anonymous said...

    I don't know if it is the way that is shot but it looks HUGE! And so beautiful! Who is the artist?

  2. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    Thanks, Jaspenelle (beautiful name btw). The size is 24 by 36 inches. I'm not sure who the artist is but you can get the painting done through various eBay sellers from China. They won't look EXACTLY like what they put as the photo because the paintings are painted once the auction is won. With this one, the background is a completely different hue than what I expected. And I did expect a little more detail in the background flares but I am still extremely happy with it. Just don't expect a photo copy of it. I would love to get another Goddess one soon.

  3. Anonymous said...

    That is beautiful! I know you want it in a public place but the perfect place is where you should put her because she is public now on your blog.

  4. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    Good point, Sherry! I am glad I can share her on here!

  5. Chandira said...

    Wow, that's cool! While I don't have room for a 60 ft tea tree in my garden, I do have a 2ft Kuan Yin statue.