Friday, August 29, 2008

McCain chooses Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin for V.P.

John McCain tapped little-known Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential running mate on Friday in a startling selection on the eve of the Republican National Convention. - more.

What are your thoughts about this woman (if any)? Why do you think McCain chose her?

5 bite(s) of mango :

  1. Anonymous said...

    I think one would have to be blind not to see why McCain chose her and I don't think he expects anyone to be fooled either. I actually think it was a very smart move by McCain, I know some Hillary supporters who will definitely pick him based solely on the fact his VP is a woman (which is pretty sad.) He is also removing the whole historic factor by doing this, which might actually make some people look at the issues instead of if the candidate is male or female, black or white. Might take some of that ridiculous "rock star" edge of Obama too.

    It will be a bit amusing if Dems start bashing McCain over her inexperience because that would be completely hypocritical, considering Obama's sort list of political experience.

    Due to McCain's age and history of cancer when considering Mrs Palin, we have to consider her as someone who will probably become president (unlike other VPs of healthier candidates.) Preliminarily, I don't know how I feel about Mrs. Palin. she supports some issues I also support however she seems to support drilling the Alaskan Wildlife Refuge which I take issue with and seems to have a little bit of a scandal where she may have tried to fire her sister's ex while they were in a custody battle. Also she has a five month old son with Down Syndrome and the mother in me feels her going on the campaign trail will not be good for his well-being.

    I should probably say I can't vote anyways, since I am Canadian, too expensive to become a citizen! But if I could I wouldn't pick either candidate! Too bad Ron Paul dropped out rather then going third party...

  2. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    Excellent, Jaspenelle!

    When I first heard about his running mate, I thought to myself, "He is just trying to take off the historical flare from Obama's side and adding some to his." I am sure he specifically waited until after he found out how the speeches and reactions that led up to Obama's accepted speech turned out before he made his V.P decision. Like you said, it is "sad" that people will vote just because she is a woman, as some are voting for Obama just because he is Black and not keeping up with what he says he stands for and what he will change.

    I actually thought Reps now cannot bash Obama on his inexperience, though I think Obama's running mate fills that role in more - as McCain fills in Palin's.

    Very good point about McCain's health history and a big possibility of Palin becoming president. I'm not too keen on drilling the Alaskan Wildlife Refuge! It would seem like since she lives there she would want to protect it, guess not!?! And her personal actions in situations where she shouldn't have gotten personal, that sounds really nasty (but juicy)!

    I completely agree with you about her son. Especially with him having Down Syndrome, I have to wonder about someone who is willing to take on such a job knowing that they will have to sacrifice so much and take away so much time from their baby and knowing that there are better candidates to fill that role so she wouldn't have to. It wouldn't be so bad if the child was older, but geez, he's only 5 months!

    It's okay if you can't vote, I still really enjoyed your thoughts!

    I really wanted Obama and Clinton together.

  3. Anonymous said...

    I have to admit the non-Libertarian part of my brain was crossing my fingers for the Obama/Clinton match up. That would have been a powerful duo. I wonder if that didn't happen because of all the mudslinging during their campaigns earlier this year?

    I really hate mudslinging!

  4. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    Obama/Clinton surely would have been an easy target to talk about for McCain on how they fought against each other. I wish we could find out if Obama asked her and if so what her reason was for rejecting.

  5. ~amber~ said...

    Personally, I don't know much about her, so I can't say. I don't really know his reasoning in choosing her, but I would like to know if it was for a popularity/history-making thing.
    I agree that because of his health issues he should have been really selective in his choosing because it is a great possibility that someone would have to take over for him. Being that I don't know much about her, I presume she either doesn't have a lot of experience or that she hasn't done anything too big to make a name for herself.

    Obama and Clinton together would have been nice I think.