Friday, November 21, 2008

Fireplace Blues

I am so tired right now and my back hurts. Just got through putting the logs back into the fireplace after trying to figure out how to relight the pilot in there. Earlier Gavin rushed to me saying he had to tell me something, that he "blew out the fire". It was the fireplace pilot light he blew out. I cannot believe he did that when he knows not to mess with the fireplace at all and all of a sudden he can't help himself but to BLOW at the little pilot fire. He now knows that things like that can be very dangerous, that gas can lead to houses being blown up and people dying. I could have sworn I told him it was dangerous before, but now I really had to let him know how morbid things can get. Hey, it's the truth. He seemed to really get the message.

I AM glad that he felt the urgent need to tell me though.

I called the gas company and the lady I spoke to said everything was fine as long as I didn't smell gas (which I don't) and for me to call tomorrow to find out when someone is available to come relight it. I called my dad, and of course he said lots of "Oh shits", he doesn't even like candles being lit in his house for fear of a fire being accidentally started. But he made sure also that I didn't smell any gas. They have a fireplace that needs to be relighted too!

Looks like I'm waiting for Brian to come home to see if he can manage to relight it. We spent much time on the phone with each other on the internet looking at how to fix this mess. Our fireplace does NOT have that little red ignite button. Things would be so simple if it did. And honestly I cannot specifically find the pilot light area anyway! I even took photos to send to Brian to see if you could see something I couldn't see. Nothing. I guess we have to wait until he gets home in a few days.

He did have me turn off the gas valve in there though.

I wonder how much it costs to have the gas company come relight it. I'll find out tomorrow. I bet it's a ridiculous price, though I hope I am wrong.

1 bite(s) of mango :

  1. ... said...

    Tag, you're it!

    The rules of being "tagged:"

    · Link to the person or persons who tagged you.
    · Post the rules on your blog.
    · Write 6 random things about yourself.
    · Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them.
    · Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
    · Let the tagger know when your entry is up.