Monday, September 15, 2008

Probiotics - The Good Bacteria

Soon after I ventured into raw vegan foods for nutrition, I learned more about "good bacteria" to help with digestion and overall health. I still have yet to get fully into making my own sauerkraut and other fermented foods like nut cheeses, but I did have a go at making my own kombucha tea with a scooby awhile back. I don't really care for the taste, but I may try again and add in some different flavors like the kombucha tea sold in health food stores.

But until then I find the Pearls probiotics by Enzymatic Therapy extremely convenient. I got a hold of the Intensive Care kind from Lucky Vitamin. What's cool about the Pearls is that the "shell" shields the friendly bacteria from being destroyed by stomach acid so it can arrive safely in your intestines!


What's on the box: The power of yogurt - intensified. The Smarter Probiotic. Gets where you need it, when you need it, fast. Just one daily - take anytime. No refrigeration. More strains for deep intestinal care. Long term colon health. Maximum control of gas, bloating, and occasional constipation. Dairy free.

Continued on back: You know when you need serious support! When your digestive system is calling out for intensive relief, go beyond basic and turn to Pearls IC. Intensive care probiotics provide more strains to promote deep intestinal care and long-term colon health. Pearls IC features True Delivery Technology which guarantees active cultures SURVIVE stomach acids, ARRIVE in your intestines and THRIVE to provide exceptional support. The essence of better health - delivered. 1 Billion CFU Proprietary Probiotic Blend: Lactobacillus (acidophilus, rhamnosus) and Bifidobacterium (bifidum, lactis, longum, breve).


This one I bought for my son - Buddy Bear Probiotic by Renew Life. It's chewable with natural orange flavor. 1 Billion CFU Probiotic Blend: Lactobacillus (acidophilus) and Bifidobacterium (bifidus and infantis). I haven't seen if my son can swallow the Pearls yet but will let him try soon. For someone who hates swallowing pills and tends to always gag and choke, I personally find the Pearls extremely easy to swallow and totally not a big deal at all.


So why take probiotics anyway?


Digestive health


Active live cultures supply relief from occasional gas, bloating, constipation, sensitive stomach and lactose intolerance.


Immune health


Ensures your body is not weighed down by toxins which may limit your immune defenses.


Skin health


Fights free radicals and environmental toxins which can have negative effects on your skin.


Here is also some useful information about the benefits of probiotics.

4 bite(s) of mango :

  1. ~amber~ said...

    I think I am going to try taking some. Where did you get those ones that you take, or where do I buy something like that?
    Hubby thinks I have something wrong with my stomach/digestive system. He is always wanting me to try that special yogurt that is supposed to fix your system in 2 weeks. I think a pill would be much easier. Maybe I wouldn't have so many stomach problems then. :)

  2. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    I ordered from www.luckyvitmain.com, I edited my post to say that, forgot to include it! If you have a health food store near you they should definitely have different types of probiotics or a some sort of vitamin store. www.Puritansale.com is another site I like to order from as well.


    You probably also would do well with extra enzymes for digesting food easier.

  3. ~amber~ said...

    Thanks!
    I know we have those GNC stores all around, but I will ask hubby if we have any other vitamin stores.

    I'll look into the extra enzymes as well, thanks.

  4. Anonymous said...

    I know i Have been needing to get them for me and the kids specially during flu/sick season.

    I do give the kids regular yogurt and the danactive when they are sick and I swear it moves everything much faster and they seem to shorten the sick time. Probiotics are probably even better.