Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Meet Mr. Legs


This was hanging out near my front door. I thought it was weird this "spider" didn't have the 2 different body parts like other spiders, the cephalothorax and abdomen. Because of the legs, I googled it up as a daddy long legs and found out that this thing isn't a true daddy long legs or a true spider for that matter. It is called a Harvestman, belonging to arachnids but the Dromopoda sub class and the Opiliones order. They only have one pair of eyes and are not venomous.

But if you ask me, if it has 8 legs then it's a freakin' spider! But that is probably why I'm not a scientist. It IS good to know they aren't poisonous though.

2 bite(s) of mango :

  1. Anonymous said...

    you have all kinds of animals around your house! lol i actually think that spider, or whatever it is, is cute! lol i always liked daddy long legs, and it looks similar to one.

  2. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    I think it's kind of cute as well - if I get past the legs LOL. But at least the legs aren't hairy like some spiders are. I think it's a neat species, a better and nicer alternative to the spider.