Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sitar, My Soul

So I finally took my sitar out of the garage and out of it's case and into the living room. I haven't played it since before we moved and that has been way too long for someone that claims she's determined to learn how to play it well. I love the sitar - everything about it - from the way it looks to the way it sounds. If an instrument ever could represent the sound of a soul, it would by far be the sound of a sitar. Holding and playing the sitar I find to be such a spiritual experience, it's hard to describe really... But it's so meditative and soothing. I've never gotten that feeling from other instruments I've played.

Here's my sitar set up in my living room. I just recently got that floor pillow from World Market. It is officially my sitar pillow just for when I play - my official "ass pillow." Hahaha!


I love the upper large Lotus Pegs, they add such beauty.

The removable toomba that's behind. It's hollow with a hole underneath and adds extra resonance when you play.

A shot of the various carved detail and decoration.

3 bite(s) of mango :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Beautiful. I glad you got the sitar back out! Great ass pillow too!

  2. Unknown said...

    It's so pretty! Do you record yourself playing ever? I would love to hear it. :D

  3. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    I don't record myself currently, but I do plan to soon! I'll let you know!