Thursday, October 2, 2008

Delicious Raisins!

Raisins that are delicious? Before yesterday I would say that was completely an oxymoron. I rarely buy raisins, the main reason being is that they aren't anything special, but another reason being is that if they aren't organic you are taking in a concentrated from of pesticides being that they are a concentrated form of grapes. Concerning mass, you are eating more of the grapes in dried form compared to eating them in their fresh juicy form.

Well, last night I finally opened up a box of organic raisins I bought from Harris Teeter, the raisins are their store brand. I bought them mainly for when I make a Waldorf Salad type of meal. I am very rarely in the mood for just straight raisins, only when it seems I want something sweet but there really isn't anything around at the moment. I didn't have high expectations in the raisins, I mean they ARE just raisins.



But when I ate few I noticed their texture was different from what I was use to, seemed to have a little sugary slight crunch to them while still being moist. And then WOW, it was a total pleasant surprise - it tasted like candy! I quickly looked at the ingredients on the box to make sure what I was eating didn't have any "added sugar" or anything, but nope the ingredients just listed "organic raisins".

So there I was just eating away at this newly found delicious taste making me so content at the world at hand and in comes my son. Of course he wonders what I am eating and has to have some. The same reaction comes from him as well, he finds them so good! Then he gets even more excited when he learns they are organic! He is so cute.

So it looks like after 28 almost 29 years, I finally like raisins. Maybe all this time they just had to be organic. Organic food does seem to taste better.

6 bite(s) of mango :

  1. ~amber~ said...

    I never actually thought about raisins a whole lot. I figured they were just 'grapes and sunshine' like the commercial says. Guess I was wrong.

    We don't have a Harris Teeter here, but I may look around our grocery and see what they do have.

    Sometimes your tastes can change, it happens. Glad you found a way that you like them.

  2. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    Not too long ago I didn't think much about raisins either. I use agave nectar, dates, and raisin (in that order) to sweeten certain raw vegan recipes. It can be amazing how much organic food tastes compared to their conventionally grown counterpart. Another food I really don't care too much for is cilantro, but if it's organic it is very much more tolerable. I still don't like using the full amounts specified in recipes though. Some people are cilantro freaks! Ha!

    I think I have a very sensitive palate though, I swear I can taste stuff other people can't. Same with smell.

  3. Anonymous said...

    I have NEVER liked raisins. I think it stems back to be force fed them when I was younger by my brother as he stuffed them up my nose too lol! I try to buy organic tried fruit because it does have a much better flavor.

  4. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    Awww, sorry about that memory Sherry!!!

  5. Anonymous said...

    I love raisins! I can eat a whole box of them. Which, I'm sure is not a good thing! lol At least not at one sitting, which I can do.

  6. Lunar Earth Mama said...

    I'd get a sugar high!