Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Solar Food Dryer

click image for Amazon page

Ask any raw vegan foodist and they will probably tell you their Excalibur dehydrator is their #1 choice in dehydrators. I have one myself. But I can't help but yearn for another method that doesn't use electricity, but makes good use of what is free right outside and up in the heavens--the sun! Who knows, maybe it's a past life in me that yearns to dry and preserve foods in a more ancient and even more earth friendlier manner.

I would absolutely LOVE to do this project. My heart would absolutely SING if I made this thing. I must make this happen!

On to the book description:

The Solar Food Dryer describes how to use solar energy to dry your food instead of costly electricity. With your own solar-powered food dryer, you can quickly and efficiently dry all your extra garden veggies, fruits, and herbs to preserve their goodness all year long-with free sunshine! Applicable to a wide geography-wherever gardens grow-this well-illustrated book includes:

  • Complete step-by-step plans for building a high-performance, low-cost solar food dryer from readily available materials
  • Solar energy design concepts
  • Food drying tips and recipes
  • Resources, references, solar charts, and more

1 bite(s) of mango :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Yes! I have looked at that book also. I would love to give it a try. I know if you google you can find many homemade ones that people have done.